How often have you felt overwhelmed, stressed, and anxious; begging for an extra few hours in the day just to fit it all in and find the right life balance? You are not alone! The struggle to “fit it all in” is indeed real.
Trying to balance a career, family, health, and a social life has become the juggling act better known as Life Balance. Until we figure out how to create extra hours, these steps are a good place to start.
1. Setting Boundaries and Saying No!
If you don’t set boundaries, then work or other obligations will leave you with no time for the activities and relationships you enjoy.
Learn to say “no!” We fail ourselves the moment we begin to overextend ourselves.Your sister needs a babysitter, there is laundry to do, Little Johnny has soccer practice, and your boss just asked if you could stay late. It’s OK to respectfully say no.
When you quit accepting tasks out of guilt, you’ll have more time for activities that are meaningful to you! That is not selfish, that is loving and respecting yourself and your relationships.
2. Work Smarter, Not Harder
This tip is about being able to prioritize. What really needs to be done and by when?
- Track your time: Where is your time being spent? Pay attention to your daily tasks, including work-related and personal activities, what is necessary?
- Manage your time: Find ways to delegate activities you don’t enjoy or don’t have time for.
- Organize – make a list. Having a plan helps you maintain focus. When you don’t have a plan, it’s easy to be sucked into the plans and priorities of others and into the abyss of distraction. Do what needs to be done and let the rest go. Allow yourself a set time per task and maintain focus.
3. Forgetting About Perfection
Forget about being perfect! Don’t get me wrong, we all are striving to be our best, but if we did a cost-benefit-analysis as to how much time is spent trying to achieve perfection; we would see where our life balance wheel has been tipped.
Learn to accept when a task might not be perfect, but is good enough. Give yourself a break. It doesn’t matter if your home is not immaculate and your children aren’t fed ultra-nutritious 4-course meals every day. What matters is you are giving your best effort.
4. Cleaning out Your Closet
Get rid of anything that is not adding value to your life.
Identify the energy suckers that are in your life. I am not just talking about the hours you spend on Facebook, this goes for people as well! People in your life that are negative or unhealthy can be a large drain on your energy. These people take and change your energy and add nothing to your life.
Instead, fill your life with activities and people that bring you happiness, not leave you exhausted and stressed.
5. Valuing You – Take Care of Yourself!
You only have one body you are given, treat it well. Make a point to get some exercise, eat healthy, and socialize. Make yourself a priority!
These are just a few of the steps I have found to be successful in finding life balance. We are all on this journey together!